Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Hard Parts of Making a Baby Memory Rag Quilt

I had done a number of t-shirt quilts and a whole bunch of rag quilts and at the time I felt like I knew exactly what I was doing making a rag quilt.  So when a teacher friend, who knew about my rag quilts, asked me to make her a quilt from all of her sons baby clothes I was scared to death that I would damage, harm, and completely mess up these treasured items.  I asked her if she would allow me to make the clothes into a rag quilt.  She said yes!  I thought it would be a snap but it turned out to be so much harder than I expected.

I started by cutting up the tiny, sweet smelling baby things which was heart wrenching actually. I kept thinking "what if I mess up..."  Then having to throw away the little scrap pieces I was not going to use.  Ohhh So hard! But I kept going.

Another hard part was deciding which part of the adorable clothes I was going to use.   I ended up cut and pasting some of the cutest designs.  I cut one tiny baseball shirt apart and made two squares out of it with the little tiny buttons still on.  I sewed a border of a coordinating blue cotton around each little cloth, cut squares of a coordinating blue flannel, 2 per square and sewed the squares together as I would a regular rag quilt.

I was very happy with the result after I had clipped all the seams but I had fallen in love with this little blue baby boy quilt. The absolute hardest part of all was giving it to my friend.








1 comment:

  1. This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it
    Mother of the Bride Dresses

    ReplyDelete